The bonus update. Made as a reward for our very first patrons.
- New selector in the Customizer: Show featured images on Front Page, in the Article, or Both.
- If the screen is more than 1600px wide, the newspaper now gets nicely centred with some smooth drop-shadows along the edges – just like in real life.
- A handful of typographical changes for better readability.
The keyword of this update is options. We added a bunch of more options for the user, along with a design overhaul. Here are the details.
- Added automatic infinite scroll for mobile devices that supports it. Others will still have a button to tap. Made sure infinite scroll works on super large screens.
- Some design changes: Read more buttons in front page grid flattened, quite a bit of redesign in the header, "Notice" post type in front page grid is changed.
- Made an option for menu area to move up with the page – out of view – when you scroll down, instead of being fixed to the top.
- Made an option for the first post in front page grid not to be larger than the others.
- Made an option to have widgets in a sidebar visible across the site, instead of in dropdown area. However, on mobile all widgets will always stay in the dropdown.
- Fixed unfortunate bug that made you unable to select text. Also changed the old yellow selected text color to dark gray for a more neutral approach.
- “Notice” post type now uses the same post template in single view as “Breaking News.” Too much dark gray lines upon lines in the old version.
- Made a new menu that lay horizontally in the header. On mobile, this is combined with the main menu in the dropdown area.
- Changed lead and blockquote style for “Breaking News” post type to match the bold headline.
- Added cite tag styling for all blockquotes.
- Let FB pick share image on single articles automatically instead of forcing the default, when you're not using featured image.
- Restructured the customizer.
Mostly bug fixes. A few minor design changes—biggest of them being retina ready images.
- Fixed broken link that made it impossible to upload a personal custom sharing image.
- Fixed a bug where the Facebook sharing text broke under certain conditions.
- Fixed so there's opportunity for hand-crafted excerpts in the Facebook sharing. (Earlier I accidentally overwrote it with the custom made.)
- Renamed the yellowish color scheme to Oxidized instead of Oxidated—which is proper grammar.
- Made the post footer more subtle.
- Toned down the crisp black in the White color scheme.
- Upsized the custom image sizes to look better on retina.
Creating three color themes/ schemes, possibility for logo image in header ++.
- Three color themes to choose from. Gray Default, Yellow Oxidized and Black & White only.
- Possibility to add your logo to the header instead of font.
- Possibility to change the header font to a more legible typeface.
- Full control of whether to show/ hide tagline (slogan) both in mobile and desktop.
- Fixed bug causing a too large space between articles on some mobile devices.
- A slight upgrade in SEO.
- Added a "No search results" text when search returns empty. (As opposed to no message at all).
- Quite a bit of typography changes. The biggest being changing sub headers from all uppercase to regular.
- Changed "related posts" cards so that the hover doesn't cover everything. Now you can see what you're clicking as you're clicking it.
Adding better navigation around the theme ++.
- Added cards with next and previous + related articles in the bottom of every article.
- Added "No comments yet" text below comment field if there are no comments.
- Added footer option in Customizer. You may add a rich text, and it will show as a footer below every article.
- Minor typography changes.
The theme is rewritten from the start. 1.0 is sentenced to death. Most everything is changed.